Sunday 2 January 2011

Sunday Challenge

Happy new year to you all! I hope you enjoyed the celebrations and are looking forward to what 2011 has in store :)

It's time for our first challenge of 2011:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - it allows you to realise mistakes and grow from them. Have you made a mistake? With hindsight, looking back, is there something that's happened to you that you would deal with differently next time around? Create a page based on your experience and tell us what you'd change, if you could.

Here are some samples from the DT to get your creative juices flowing!

Val

For this page I focused on regret. We lost my former sister-in-law tragically this year. (That is a photo of us on the day she married my brother back in 1996). Although she and my brother were no longer together, her special place in our family was never filled and we always considered her one of us. When I heard she was gone so suddenly, I immediately started to think of all of the things I wish I had said to her. I have so many regrets where she is concerned that I could probably fill the entire back of the 12 x 12 layout with words. I didn't, though. Instead, the few sentences that sum up my feelings are on the back of the tag. Here's a detail:
 Here's the tag out of it's slot:
Materials: all materials Webster's Pages + Tim Holtz Tissue Tape


Tessa


I didn't have a photo that would help tell my story, so I opted for journaling only.  To make my page about a difficult move from Utah to California more interesting, I created a California-shaped journaling space by printing out clipart, using it as a mask for misting, and then stitching the image's edge.  As the journaling reads, I did not do well with a move my family made when I was a teenager.  I went to three different high schools that year - who wouldn't have a rough time? But years later, when my own little family made a big move, I remembered the lessons I had learned and had a much better experience.  I really wish I could go back in time and make lemonade out of that earlier experience, but I am content to know that I learned from my mistakes.

Lisa



I decided to scrap about something that I would love to change, but unfortunately have no control over. That's our British summers. Just a few dry weeks over August please, that's all I ask. It doesn't have to be highs of 30c, just dry so the kids can go out and play. Surely that's no too much to ask, is it???



Nic


I think this quote by Xenocrates " I have often regretted my speech, never my silence" is so true, and decided to base my LO for this challenge around these words of wisdom.  There have been more than a few times in my life when I've inadvertently opened my mouth and said something that afterwards I've really wished I hadn't said, or perhaps I should have phrased slightly differently.  Over the years I'd like to think that I have got got a bit better at thinking before I speak and when in doubt about whether to say something or not, this quote is a great food for thought!

Link your entries up to Inlinkz in the sidebar - you have until 5th Feb to enter for January's prize!

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant pages as ever girls - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwww! This is an AMAZING challenge!! I loveeeeeeeeeee everyone's take on it!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful interpretations. Thanks Valerie for directing me here! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Refreshingly honest layouts and journalling. I have turned my page into my new year's resolutions and displayed it on my wall to remind me of them.

    http://melgetsscrappy.blogspot.com/2011/01/getting-mojo-on-for-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't seem to upload on the sidebar as it says that the collection is closed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just amazing layouts. What a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HIya Not sure where to upload my lo...so am doing it here : ) Thanks for the fab challenge!! http://thehappyscrappyplace.blogspot.com/2011/01/challenges-x-2.html

    It's the second lo......
    Jess M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, don't forget to upload your Sunday challenge layouts to Inlinkz in the sidebar!